St. James Blood Drive

Ms.+Olson+volunteering+for+the+blood+drive.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

St. James Blood Drive

Ms. Olson volunteering for the blood drive.

Jenessa Smith

Jenessa Smith

Jenessa Smith

Jennifer Ramirez, Photo Editor

On November 6 our school did a blood drive where some of our fellow classmates participated. Students got the choice of giving one pint of blood or to give doubles, in case you didn’t know one pint of blood can save three lives, which is pretty epic, so to anybody that gave blood, I am proud of you. The blood that’s donated goes to victims of car accidents, burn victims, bone marrow transplants, cancer patients, etc. All of the blood that was donated will go to a blood bank in St. Paul, MN. 

Jenessa Smith

High school kids almost supply ⅓ of the nations blood supply. 

What makes you unavailable to give blood? Michael Pierson answered that question for us. If you’ve been out of the country in the last year and traveled to certain areas in Mexico, Central America, South America, Asia, or Africa you’d be unavailable to give blood because of the malaria risk. If you’ve been to Europe for some time and stayed for a certain time frame you would also be unavailable to give blood because of the mad cow disease, having low iron, being sick during the blood drive, if you get a piercing with a sterile needle you are able to give blood, and getting a tattoo at a state regulated facility you can give blood within a couple of months. 

Daisy Trejo interviewed a few of the students that volunteered in the blood drive, seniors Makenna Rotert and Nolan Gonzalez have previously given blood and it was their third time donating. When asked what motivated him to give blood, Nolan Gonzalez  said, “I feel like it’s the right thing to do, it’s something that I feel like most people should do, if they can.” 

Jenessa Smith
Nolan Gonzalez giving a thumbs up for the blood drive.

Makenna Rotert was inspired to donate blood because “it saves peoples lives” and junior Nicholas Brey was motivated to donate blood, “I read online that one pint of blood, which is what you donate, can save up to three lives, so that’d be cool.”

Sofi Solorzano feeling great after giving blood.